In this article, we are talking about How to index New WordPress Website On Google. After creating a new WordPress website, Now you need to know about it to the world & google.
Google will not necessarily find your website. So if you don’t tell them, your pages might not appear in search results.
It is a little more complex than that, so We have outlined the steps you need to take below. If you follow these steps after creating your new site, it will be found by the search engines and you will get some audience on that.
Here are the few steps you need to do for index your website,
1. Create a Sitemap
A sitemap is a very important factor to help the search engines know what pages are on your website. Without going in very detail we will suggest the best plugin to generate a sitemap.
The plugin is called Google XML Sitemaps and its job is to create the XML Sitemap and inform the search engines when you have new content.
After installing the plugin follow the below steps,
– Go to the Settings menu in WordPress and choose XML-Sitemap
– Then under the Search engines haven’t been notified yet section you will found your XML Sitemap URL which looks like http://yoursite.com/sitemap.xml
Another best plugin to create a sitemap is Yoast SEO. We don’t cover it here we will write a different article about Yoast SEO later.
2. Submit Website to Google Search Engine
After creating the sitemap you need to tell the Google search engine that your site exists.
Follow the steps to submit the website:-
1. Go ahead and create a Google account if you do not already have one.
2. Head to Google Webmaster Tools and login
3. Add your website using Domain or URL Prefix.
4. Now Google will ask you to verify your site by adding one of the following to your site
– Add HTML file to your website
– Add a meta tag to the header of your website
What you need to do for each I have written below,
If you are technical, this is quite straight forward:-
– Login in to your hosting and copy the HTML file from google to your www directory
– Copy the meta tag to your page header
You can do this in WordPress via the Appearance > Editor menu On the right, find and click on header.php Then add the meta tag anywhere between.
If you are NOT technical, there is an alternative:-
– Install the Yoast SEO Plugin
– Go to the SEO > Dashboard and there is a field there where you can paste the Meta Tag for Google
3. Submit Sitemap to Google Search Engine
The next thing you want to do is submit the XML sitemap we created earlier to the google search engine.
Adding your sitemap, once you have registered your website with Google, is quite easy.
Go to the search console and click on the Sitemaps link from the left sidebar then add your sitemap using add a new sitemap section and submit.
By giving Google the link (http://yoursite.com/sitemap.xml) to your sitemap and testing it is valid, you are ensuring Google knows what pages are on your site.
That’s it. We hope this article about How to Index New WordPress Website On Google is helpful. If you have any questions about the article feel free to comment below. We will get back to you with an answer.